Monday, September 8, 2008

Whole Wheat and Rosemary Focaccia Bread

This is such a quick bread.
I don't get the time to bake bread like I use to.
And- I don't eat it as much as I use to.
In my family bread was king. We love the smell the taste the butter.......warm.
Sigh, we love bread.
My father was convinced that white bread was an abomination.
And would compare it to eating Library paste.
He thought that the peasants were lucky to have the whole grains while the royalty ate the processed stuff. He was a real snob when it came to food. He never ate fast food. He thought a piece of cardboard was better then a burger from McDonald's.
I begged him when McDonald's first opened to take us there. I was positive it would be great. He would say. " Just let me put Catchup and Mustard on a piece of cardboard, it will taste the same".
My mother finally took us to McDonald's and My thought was , "he is right"! I never developed a taste for fast food.
thank Goodness


Whole Wheat and Rosemary Focaccia Bread
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 envelope dry yeast ( ¼ ounce)
Place warm water in a large bowl along with sugar. Sprinkle with yeast and let stand 5 minutes.
Stir in:
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
Add:
2 cups white flour
½ cup whole wheat
1 tsp. salt
knead until smooth –but soft

place in oiled bowl -cover with towel and let rise in warm area for about 1 hour.

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried
1 glove garlic finely chopped
heat oil and throw in garlic and herbs- cook quickly- but don’t let it burn.

Punch down dough and put on baking sheet- make about a 12” circle.
Top with garlic-herb oil.
Bake in 400 degree oven close to bottom rack for 15-20 minutes.
Cool a bit and cut and serve.

No comments: