Wednesday, September 10, 2008

End of Summer Ratatouille

Anne down at StarWorks has a garden going and Mark called with the good news she was selling veggies at bottom price.
Bring home whatever she has.
Basil, tomatoes and eggplant.
I am a big eggplant fan- this was good news.
I use to garden on a large scale, but have not done much the last several years. So I now buy from folks who still garden. Our favorite is our good customers Rick and Henrietta. Rick grows the best -save your own seeds- vegetables I have had since my youth. The tomatoes-brandy wines- are sinful and with some sharp cheese...... whoops off the subject.
Back to the eggplant: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
I like to cut up some onion, red pepper, mash some garlic, peel and slice the eggplant, clean and slice some mushrooms - I am throwing all of this in a rectangular glass baking pan- why glass I am going for high heat-
I peel and slice the tomatoes placing them in a colander to drain before adding them to the pan.
How many, well like the peaches- as many as you like- but don't go overboard.
I then add 1/4 cup good olive oil and some splashes of balsamic vinegar.
Salt pepper, fresh basil and oregano.
Cover the pan tightly with foil and Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, stir and bake 20 more minutes.
Now if you want to add some squash you can do that at the 1/2 way point.
Make sure you stir a time or two, keep a close check and turn down the oven to 400 degrees or less if needed and you can bake longer- don't burn. If it is a bit runny add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste.
When you are done you will have the best Ratatouille.
It is so creamy.
You can serve as a side, on top of pasta or with some really good bread.

No comments: