Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bright Carrot Slices

I find I am quite lazy when it come to veggies and carrots are high on that list.
I like carrots eaten raw the best- but some days it seems you should be able to do wonderful things with them. This is a recipe found in Barbara Kafka book on Roasting at high temps.
I have made a few changes- but this is really good and once you get started easy.

Bright Carrot Slices -adapted from-Barbara Kafka book-Roasting

2 Tbs. Butter
2 pounds carrots
trimmed peeled and sliced into ½ slices.


Glaze:
¼ cup fresh orange juice (or frozen if you live where I do with no grocery within a 25 minute drive).
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice. ( this should be fresh)
2 Tablespoons. sugar
1tsp grated ginger ( I like to throw in some pickled sushi ginger)
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp cumin

Heat oven to 500*
Steam carrots until just tender. (2-3 minutes)
Drain well-
Place in a 14x12x2 inch pan-
Toss with melted butter
Roast 10 minutes-
Pour glaze mixture on top and roast until all is absorbed in.
At least another 10 minutes, but could be more.
Serve as a side

No comments: