Friday, September 12, 2008

Ada Darling's Skillet Pineapple Upside down Cake

This was giving to me by my husband's grandmother.
It does not get any better than this.
The cake batter made with good local organic eggs turns a beautiful yellow color.
I also use this cake batter to make a cake for berry shortcakes. I like to bake it alone in a 8X8 pan for about 20-25 minutes. ( be sure to grease and flour your pan)
It is better than any store bought cake you will ever buy and very easy.
 Let it cool then you can layer with berries and whip cream or ice cream.

Use either a good seasoned cast iron skillet or  a deep  Stainless steel skillet.
The cake:
Ada Darling's Skillet Pineapple Upside down Cake
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 can of pineapple rings, drained
 The cake batter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour (130 grams)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. pineapple
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter in skillet, add brown sugar melt.
Place pineapple rings over melted butter and sugar.
Pour cake batter over the pineapple mixture.
Bake 30 to 40 min in a 375* oven.
Turn over on to platter to serve.
It is tricky to turn this over as it should be done while still hot or not complete cooled.
Be careful it is hot!

2 comments:

T.Gray said...

Meredith, is that 1/2 stick of butter? Pineapple upside down cake, and caramel cake, are my weaknesses. I have my dad's mom's caramel recipe, but have yet to try it. No one has baked it, none of us grandkids, since 1993 when my dad's late sister last baked it. My mom's middle name was Ada, as was her aunt's, and it was her grandmother's first name. That said, I have to try this recipe :-)

cookingwithgas said...

Thanks Tom- as you can see I need an editor- Mark takes great delight in reading what I have written and sending me corrections!
Anyway 1 stick butter- this is so easy I hope you will make it.
No kidding about Ada- is there some German in your background?
I loved Mark's grandmother she was 4'11" and tough as nails!
M