Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's the bread-

So- we talked about bread and I hope you all start making some.
But- I wanted to tell you about what I did with more whole wheat and Rye.
I do like a good stout bread. It runs in the family. My father hated- pasty white loaf bread. He thought of it as the down fall of civilization as we know it. He referred to it as " library paste."
With that in mind... I like the base recipe but I like a good stout bread- yes, I said it again!
So here is what I did-
I had only 3 1/2 cups of bread flour left in the house.
So I did the water, yeast, salt per the recipe below and then added one package or organic instant oats. and the bread flour.
I then used equal parts of wheat and rye until I had the Constancy of the sticky dough - per the recipe below.
I have to tell you again I don't measure exactly by the recipe.
Well- I do and then I add a Tbs. at a time if I think it needs more dry-.
I go by feel and how it pulls away from the bowl.
I then set the dough to rise on the counter and proceeded as the recipe below- I baked loaf one after 3 days and the next two about day five.
Because of the wheat and rye I thought day 3 the best for baking- day five the loaves split a bit around the edges. And- note it takes at least 10 minutes longer to bake.
Now taste- it was wonderful- I really liked this bread and so did my mother and my sister Lee.
So there!
Mark, he likes them all and is happy to have the bread to eat!

2 comments:

Michael Mahan said...

Hey M,

I stumbled upon your blog here, and thought I'd send a note.

I love fresh-baked bread, made with yeast.

The Irish tend to make soda bread. Mary's mother is always making some bread.

We make a lot of flat bread with whole grain spelt flour: add a bit of salt to a bit of flour, then a bit of water. Make a nice dough and knead. Let it sit if you want, then grab a chunk and roll it around in your palms, flatten it with a rolling pin, and fry it on a medium hot iron pan. Great for wrapping around veggies, etc.

Michael

cookingwithgas said...

thanks Mike for stopping in and the thought on soda bread!