Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Granola

Granola is one of those things I make off and on- when I remember, when I am in the mood- when Mark reminds me I know how.
This is one of those things which is worth the effort after it is all over.
Especially if you go price this stuff in the store.
Here is the whole recipe - but you can throw in anything you want just remember 6 cups dry to 1 cup wet.
My old tried and true Recipe:
Mix all the dry in a big pottery bowl-
Chop up in a variety of forms:
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
add:
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup coconut
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 cups oats

mix all the wet in a big measuring cup
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

add wet to dry with a big spoon and mix well.
Dump onto a cookie sheet- or two if you need the room and bake at 250- for 30 minutes.
Stir after 15- keep a close eye after 25-
add dried fruit of your choice in the last 2 minutes- just to warm it and blend in.
BECAUSE you do not want to burn the dried fruit- trust me.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Can't wait to try this recipe! I eat granola mixed into my yogurt for breakfast EVERY morning, and never thought to try making my own. Going to be brave & give it a shot! Julia

cookingwithgas said...

if you can hunt you can make granola! Let me know how it comes out and remember you can add or take anyway anything to your own taste.
M