Monday, November 17, 2008

More on smoked meats

Well it is long after tomorrow and the meeting at Starworks.
How did the smoked meats turn out?
I was talking to my son and he reminded me I never did a follow up.
After marinading the meats for 24 hours, I took them out and place them all on my broiler pan and tented them over with foil.
I placed them in the Beer refrigerator - we live in the county 25 minutes from a grocery store- and let them rest for another day.
Then brought them up to room temperature and handed them over to Mark.
He started the smoke at about 4 pm. He keeps the temperature between 185 and 200- but mostly around 185-
He used charcoal for heat and hardwood for smoke.
In this case oak, a bit of mesquite and apple.
He keep them on until about 11 pm- we took them off and they were a nice rare to med rare.
The next day I sliced them thin and put the meat out on one of Mark's platters.
Sorry no picture-
It took about 15 minutes for the crowd to empty the platter.
They took a bee line over to the smoked beef and it was gone.
Here is what I found of the cuts we used.
The brisket was by far the best.
The shoulder roast a good second.
The chuck roast- fair.
Although I took trimming and bones and made soup stock and the best soup-
I took Tom Gray's advice and used nothing but bones- adding no extra seasonings.
I did add onion, carrots and celery.
I let the stock simmer in the oven for several hours.
It was great and has a nice smoke flavor.

No comments: