Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shallot Salad Dressing

I have been asked for a salad dressing my father use to make.

I know he did one in the wooden bowl that I think must have been your classic Cesar Salad dressing; rub the bowl with garlic, pour in all ingredients in the bowl and then throw in the mixed greens.

This one I found several years ago reminds me of one he use to make.

I know his used fresh shallots because; I remember well his search for fresh Shallots.

All you could find back then were some frozen ones. He used them, but grumbled knowing there was something better out there somewhere!
I can't help but think of him anytime I buy the fresh ones.


He loved good food and would have "relished' in the slow food movement.He thought and talked about food as far back as I can remember. He loved whole wheat, stout, breads, which he would call peasant breads. He called wonder bread, “library paste” and wanted nothing to do with it.
He liked good cheese and a good cut of meat.
He liked good food and loved to cook.

Some of my favorite memories are eating his Chili with a grapefruit, orange and onion green salad on the side.

The hot, spicy chili set off by the citrus.

Mark and I shared this meal with my parents every Sunday while I was expecting my first child.

A lazy Sunday evening, Chili, the parents and good conversation.



His reaction to fast food was that it was the down fall of civilization.

When we traveled, as a family, he looked for good Mom and Pop diners.
And once told me to judge a place by the cars in the parking lot.
He said if there are Cadillac’s next to pick up truck you can bet the food is good.



Now back to the salad dressing:

1 TBS. Minced shallots
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp. powdered mustard
¼ dries basil
¼ tsp. oregano
½ tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/3 cup live oil
3 TBS. vinegar
Place all but the vinegar in a bowl.
Stir well and let sit for about 1 hour.
Stir in vinegar.
You can play with this depending on the herbs you like.
Tarragon instead of basil and oregano…
Add garlic if you like….

1 comment:

Shortstuff said...

Dad's salad dressing was not a Caesar dressing. It was a tarragon dressing. I think you have all the ingredients, but use tarragon instead of basil. He taught me how to make it and I became the official salad dressing maker in one of those old wooden bowls that Lib picked up in South America. He had me make it with garlic...although it could have been shallot...that was a few years ago. I don't remember paprika, but I do remember the dried mustard.

Rub the bowl with the shallot/garlic. Add pinch of salt. Add dried mustard, tarragon, oregano, olive oil and vinegar. Toss greens in mixture...or something like that.